The City Council of Austell consists of seven local city residents. The Mayor is elected at large for a term of four years and each City Council Member is elected for a term of four years. The City Council meets on the first Monday of each month at 7:00 PM in the Council Chambers at City Hall.
Duties and Responsibilities
The City Council is the governing body of the City of Austell with direct responsibility for the formulation of City Policy. General responsibilities of the City Council include:
- Hearing views of the public on matters concerning City operations.
- Defining the policy and goals of the City.
- Improving the programs and organizations for achieving City goals and purposes.
- Deciding how the financial resources of the City will be used.
- Communicating the goals and concerns of the City to other legislative bodies.
- Enacting all Ordinances.
The Mayor is directly elected to represent the City in an official capacity at various functions and is the presiding officer at City Council meetings. The Mayor does not vote on matters that come before the City Council except when there is a tie vote, then he will exercise that vote.
Mayor Pro tempore
The Mayor Pro tempore is appointed by the Mayor. In the Mayor's absence, the Mayor Pro tempore conducts the City Council meetings.
Correspondence to the Mayor and/or City Council should be addressed to:
Mayor Ollie Clemons Jr.
City of Austell
2716 Broad Street, S.W.
Austell, Georgia 30106
Telephone messages to the City Council may be left with the City Clerk's office by calling (770) 944-4326. Their fax number is (770) 944-9173.